Wednesday, February 17, 2010

Hair Transplant - The Real Truth!

By Rick Saroukhanian

Many people who are battling hair loss wonder if a Hair Transplant surgery is the answer to their problems and many are even afraid of the word "surgery". Most people have seen others with transplant surgery that look superficial and like a doll's sticking out for the world to see. Typical transplant questions and fears: "extremely painful", "It will look fake", "not my own hair", "transplant hair will not grow and last as I get older", "expensive". These are some the questions that many people have when they hear the term Hair Transplant Surgery. So are these fears true or false? Well, as a past hair loss victim and transplant patient let me shed some light for all who are wondering. On my blog, "Ask The Hair Loss Expert", I go in detail about my hair loss story and eventual redemption with before and after pictures, so I will not go into detail about my history here. To be brief, I started losing hair at the age of 22 and it progressed as I grew older. At the age of 35 I had my first hair transplant. I was so satisfied that I had another one at the age of 37, which I truly did not need. Now, I am 39 and I look younger than when I was 30. If you do not believe me, just visit my blog and see for yourself.

Now, let me answer some of the above fears or even questions that most people have regarding an Hair Transplant Surgery:

1. Is it Painful? Pain is a relative term. Each individual has a different tolerance of pain than the next. I have a low tolerance for pain and I can tell you that going to the dentist is more painful than having a hair transplant performed by the right surgeon. The keyword to remember here is "right surgeon". The surgeon has to be an expert in Hair Transplant surgery only. The cutting of the donor area is the most dramatic process during the entire surgery and it is here that some people in the past have felt great pain due to the surgeon's lack of skill. If the surgeon is skilled there is very minimum pain and discomfort. On my surgery day, I watched DVD movies back to back, had sushi for lunch, talked to my wife and the nurses all during the surgery so pain was not an issue for me.

2. Will it look Fake? Again if the surgeon is skilled, the answer to this question would be a strong "no". Before I had my surgery, I had a receding hairline and was going completely bald on top. After surgery and I swear by this statement, not one person ever knew or even asked if I had a hair transplant. It's so funny, when I run into people who I have not seen for a long time, they look at me from head to toe in amazement and their only comment is how younger I look and how I lost all the weight. The funny part is that I actually gained weight after my marriage, yet my transplant looks so natural that no one has a clue.

3. It is my own hair? Yes that transplanted hair is 100% your natural hair taken from your donor area.

4. Will the transplanted hair grow and last? Yes, absolutely. After surgery, I would suggest you take propecia every two to three days which stops future hair loss. I am approaching 40 and from the age of 35 when I had my first transplant I have not worried or seen any evidence of hair loss, especially from the transplanted hair.

5. Is it Expensive? Depends how many grafts you need and more importantly where you get the hair transplant performed. I could tell you honestly that a hair transplant is much more expensive in Los Angeles or New York than in Canada. I personally had my surgery done in Canada and would never even consider doing it here in Los Angeles where I live, not because of the cost but because of the surgeon. Luckily for me the cost of the surgery is considerably less in Canada than here which worked out perfectly.

In summary, it is my opinion that a Hair Transplant is the only permanent cure for hair loss. So, don't let anyone fool you with magic pills, shampoo's or foams and so forth, it is full of crap and baloney. However, there are natural pills and supplements that prevents or slow down hair loss, such as Propecia and Provillus and Profinast. The only real solution where you actually gain a natural set of hair is a Hair Transplant Surgery. For much more information, news and videos feel free to visit my blog.